XenApp and other things Xen

Monthly Archives: May 2011

Language bar – how to get rid of it

This thing serves very little purpose in our environment other than to consume system resources..

Found this article here that has a handy .adm template you can use to remove it in all it’s forms (user template).



Wyse S10 – an aging terminal

I’ve been dealing a lot Wyse S10 terminals, and have noted that not everything I would like is supported on the platform anymore.

After looking at a few issues with sessions, I had investigated updating the firmware to the lastest and greatest version (7.01 at the time of writing).

The readme contains a few key points though, that highlighted some of the limitations:

1) Net boot for S10 without flash

The size of the firmware has outgrown
the available storage on the S10 with
0 flash memory. This means that the
S10 will ALWAYS have its firmware
streamed and this requires access to
an FTP, HTTP or HTTPS server to boot.
Without the server, the S10 will not

2) Improved Real-time for lower bandwidth over the WAN

Not Available

3) Improved Flash performance

Not Available

4) RDP 7 Compatible client Multimedia re-direction support

Not Available

5) Native Bi-directional Audio

Not Available

6) Improved Audio quality

Not Available

7) Advanced Monitor Support Support Monitors of different resolutions

Not Available

8) Improved drawing speed

Not Available

Of course, I could be a bit harsh as they are relatively inexpensive terminals and seem to do the job of running ICA ok (providing you aren’t trying to do HDX flash improvements) … cheap and cheerful as they say.

Invisible app – XenApp 6

I’ve decided to capture my experiences with Xen products… here’s the first since starting the blog:

I call it, “Invisible app” 😉

This occurs randomly (perhaps 1 in 20) logins when establishing a new session to the farm.

The application launch starts where windows loads the profile in and gets as far as “preparing desktop”. At this stage, the login progress bar disappears and the user is left with nothing. This also occurs with published desktops.

A look at the CDSC shows that the user session is active, however, the application .exe that should be running (eg. word.exe) is not shown as a running process.

IF the user attempts to start the app again, the user is reattached to the invisible app. If the user attempts to start a new app, a new session is started and it appears to work OK.

Update #1:

I have contacted Citrix technical support about this, and captured a CDFtrace for them and Windows full memory dump at the time it occurred.

The Citrix dev analysed the dumps, and found:

“LogonUI seems to be waiting on a APLC call to svchost but we could not see what that thread is doing. ”

so have now asked me to log a call with Microsoft.

Final update:

After much going backwards and forwards I figured out that the problem was caused by failing login script that was conflicting with another script – specifically around mapping drives. The users could not see the command prompt as it’s hidden which confused matters, so the login session just sat there, never starting the app and complaining about a mapped drive.

Simple solution: get rid of the legacy scripts into group policy preferences.